Yakitori is bit-sized food on skewers that's grilled over charcoal. It's a common food in Japan — there's a Yakitori-ya (Yakitori restaurant) in every major neighborhood. Here's a list of the 18 most common types of Yakitori.
1. TorinikuAll white meat chicken.
2. NegimaChicken and Negi.
3. ShiitakeShiitake mushrooms.
4. TebasakiChicken wings.
5. AsuparabekonAsparagus wrapped in bacon.
6. SunagimoChicken gizzard.
7. RebaChicken liver.
8. NankotsuChicken cartilage.
9. PimanGreen pepper filled with cheese, meat and other ingredients.
10. Enoki MakiEnoki mushrooms wrapped in thin sliced pork.
11. GinnanSeeds of the Ginkgo Biloba tree.
12. ShiroChicken small intestine.
13. GyutanBeef tongue.
14. ButabaraPork belly.
15. TsukuneChicken meatballs (often with small pieces of Chicken cartilage).
16. BonjiriChicken tail.
17. AtsuageDeep fried tofu.
18. ChorizoSpanish pork sausages.
Yakitori TipsIn Yakitori restaurants you order by the stick. Here's the Japanese you will need:
ippon — one stick
nihon — two sticks
sanbon — three sticks
yonhon — four sticks
The server will ask you if you want "shio" or "tare" flavor. Shio is salty and tare is a sweet sauce similar to teriyaki sauce.
If you liked this article, please share it.