Festival foods tend to be unhealthy and delicious. These are the most popular.
1. YakitoriYakitori is essentially various kinds of grilled chicken on sticks. It's a popular drinking food.
2. TakoyakiBall shaped Japanese pancakes with a chunk of octopus in the center.
3. Watame (Cotton Candy)As in the US, cotton candy is popular at festivals. In Japan it's usually prepackaged.
4. YakisobaFried Japanese soba (buckwheat noodles).
5. OkonomiyakiOkonomiyaki are savory Japanese pancakes that were traditionally cooked to use up left overs in the refrigerator. Due to this tradition — ingredients are flexible. The most popular ingredients are pork, seafood and cheese.
6. IkayakiGrilled squid (usually on a stick).
7. Choco BananaA banana on a stick dipped in chocolate or strawberry chocolate.
8. Corn on a StickAs you can see, most Japanese festival foods come on a stick.
9. KarumeyakiGrilled caramel — it's basically pure sugar. Kids like it.
10. KarageJapanese style fried chicken (often on a stick).