Most of Kyoto's 2400 temples and shrines close at 4 pm. Around this time most Kyoto tourists take the bus to their hotels, eat an early dinner and go to bed. For those interested in pushing into the night there are several options:
1. Kyoto ClubbingDue to its large student population, Kyoto has the 4th best nightlife in Japan (after Tokyo, Osaka and Sapporo). Clubs and bars run late any night of the week (5 or 6 A.M.).
2. GionJapan's largest Geisha district. It's a great place to find restaurants, bars, souvenir shops and karaoke.
3. MiyagawachoMiyagawacho is a large entertainment district on the banks of the Kamo river. It's almost as large as Gion.
4. Kyoto Night ViewThere are several good places to see the night view of Kyoto. Our favorite is the roof of Kyoto station (free). After all, Kyoto station is for lovers.
5.Gion CornerNightly (traditional) performances at Yasaka Hall in Gion. Check the official site for schedule.
6. Yasaka ShrineYasaka is a brightly lit shrine between Kyoto's Gion and Higashiyama districts. It's photogenic at night.
7. PontochoPontocho is an ancient alleyway packed with bars, hostess clubs, restaurants, karaoke and Geisha tea houses.
Please take the time to follow us on google+, twitter or our facebook page
. We update all three daily.